Re: Mustek 600IICD DTC3181E or 53c810

From: Dario Abatianni (eisfuchs@tigress.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 09:55:41 PDT

    On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 20:06:20 +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz said:

    > > At first, my version information: sane-1.0.2-58 on SuSE 6.2 / 7.0
    >
    > Could you please send the output (dbg.log) of

    On the way to your private email address.

    > You may remove (comment) the USLEEP entry. This should give the best
    > performance while blocking the whole system. But I fear it won't help much.

    I tried but got the same result. I put a comment block around the USLEEP
    portion and did a "make modules" "make modules_install". I saw, that the
    module was compiled again. Then I rebooted the machine to make sure and tried
    another scan. It was no difference.

    > If you have a fairly recent SANE (1.0.3 or a recent CVS version) the Mustek
    > backend is able to increase the SCSI buffer size and will use 1024 kB as a
    > standard. The bigger size has some effect on the speed.

    Maybe I should get a new source tree, then? How do I adjust the amount of
    memory?

    > > the 50 pin external connector with a 50 - 50 SCSI II cable, nothing works
    > > anymore. The termination jumper on the card doesn't help.
    >
    > With both devices on the external and internal bus the terminator should be
    > off.

    I tried the scanner without any other SCSI devices connected and the jumper
    set. Same result. As you and Ingo said there might be a problem with
    termination. I will try this out as soon as I get an active terminator for
    the 50 pin bus.

    > Doesn't matter, both can be used. You can use the other one to add a
    > terminator (about 5-10 Euro).

    I remembered buying the cable cost me about 80 DM (40 EUR) and I was shocked
    by the prices for SCSI equipment ever since :)

    > termination on SCSI adapter). With only one device I never needed a
    > terminator with a NCR810 clone.

    Nope, didn't work either. The cable is roughly 170 cm long, I suppose this
    should be ok.

    > Other ideas:
    > - I think there are two different SCSI drivers in the Linux kernel for this
    > device, did you try both?

    I will try the other driver tonight and report back to the list.

    Thank you for your help!

    --
    Dario