Re: Mustek 600IICD DTC3181E or 53c810

From: Ingo Wilken (Ingo.Wilken@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 14:39:13 PDT

    > Controller that is equipped with the 53c810 chip. I always read that this
    > card was a good choice to use for scanning, but I can't get it to work
    > properly. I can get linux to detect the card, and a CD writer attached to the
    > internal bus works without a problem. But as soon as I connect the scanner to
    > the 50 pin external connector with a 50 - 50 SCSI II cable, nothing works
    > anymore. The termination jumper on the card doesn't help. The scsi driver
    > recognizes the scanner as "QALLEP" instead of "SCANNER" and it reports a
    > parity error. Is there anything I can do?

    Parity errors are typical for a bus with improper termination or too long
    cables. Your 53c810 operates at 10MHz Fast-SCSI by default, so the sum
    of _all_ cables (including hidden stub cables inside external SCSI boxes)
    should be 3 meters maximum. You also need active termination on both ends.
    It might work with passive termination, but don't count on it. In your
    case, the CD writer and the scanner must both be terminated, and the SCSI
    adapter not. CD writers usually have internal terminators that are
    activated by a jumper. The scanner most likely has no terminator built
    in, so you have to buy one for the second connector (25 pin) on it, or a
    pass-through terminator for the first (50 pin) connector. Both kinds
    cost about $5-$10 (I don't know the prices in the US. I pay about 10 DM
    here in Germany at a large electronics store. Computer stores usually
    charge 25-30 DM.) If your bus still works unreliable after fixing all
    that, set it to operate at 5MHz asynchronous (ncr53c8xx=sync:255).

    Regards,
    Ingo