Re: Mustek 600IICD DTC3181E or 53c810

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 11:06:20 PDT

    On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 02:07:38PM +0200, Dario Abatianni wrote:
    > At first, my version information: sane-1.0.2-58 on SuSE 6.2 / 7.0

    Could you please send the output (dbg.log) of

    SANE_DEBUBG_MUSTEK=5 scanimage -L 2>dbg.log

    to me? I am very interested which version of SANE is included in SUSE 7.0
    (SANE 1.0.2 or a CVS version after 1.0.2).

    > The only problem I have at the moment is, that the scanner won't scan a color
    > image in one turn but in many tiny steps, causing in a lot of noise and slow
    > progress. It scans a short bit, stops, goes back and scans the next bit
    > repeatedly. Is there a possible solution? Has this to do with the USLEEP
    > values?

    You may remove (comment) the USLEEP entry. This should give the best
    performance while blocking the whole system. But I fear it won't help much.

    If you have a fairly recent SANE (1.0.3 or a recent CVS version) the Mustek
    backend is able to increase the SCSI buffer size and will use 1024 kB as a
    standard. The bigger size has some effect on the speed.

    > The next question I have has been addressed here before, I'm sure, but I
    > can't find anything in the archive about this. I have a Symbios Logic
    > Controller that is equipped with the 53c810 chip. I always read that this
    > card was a good choice to use for scanning,

    It is definitely for the 600 II CD. Scan speed is up to 10 times faster in
    some modes (no or little backtracking).

    > but I can't get it to work
    > properly. I can get linux to detect the card, and a CD writer attached to the
    > internal bus works without a problem. But as soon as I connect the scanner to
    > the 50 pin external connector with a 50 - 50 SCSI II cable, nothing works
    > anymore. The termination jumper on the card doesn't help.

    With both devices on the external and internal bus the terminator should be
    off.

    > The scsi driver
    > recognizes the scanner as "QALLEP" instead of "SCANNER" and it reports a
    > parity error. Is there anything I can do?

    Add a Terminator to the scanner. You need a terminator at both ends of the
    bus. The CDROM may have an internal terminator (which should be enabled).
    The scanner doesn't have one.

    > Unfortunately I don't have the
    > money to buy all kinds of cable adapters (the Mustek has both, a 25 Pin and
    > 50 Pin SCSI connecor), so I would be most thankful if anyone could tell me,
    > which adaptor I have to use to make this work.

    Doesn't matter, both can be used. You can use the other one to add a
    terminator (about 5-10 Euro).

    > Alternatively, a solution to the first problem would be great as well :)

    I'm not sure if this is the only cause for your problem but it may help. Did
    you try to use only the scanner without the CDROM? (disconnect CDROM, enable
    termination on SCSI adapter). With only one device I never needed a
    terminator with a NCR810 clone.

    Other ideas:
    - Did you check for double SCSI ids?
    - I think there are two different SCSI drivers in the Linux kernel for this
      device, did you try both?

    > How about a full text search function for the mailing list archive?

    There was one some time ago but David removed it for some reason.

    Bye,
      Henning