Mustek 600IICD DTC3181E or 53c810

From: Dario Abatianni (eisfuchs@tigress.com)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 05:00:55 PDT

    Hello!

    At first, my version information: sane-1.0.2-58 on SuSE 6.2 / 7.0

    I digged through the archive for quite some time now and finally managed it
    to get my Mustek Paragon 600 II CD scanner to work with the DTC 3181 E
    controller that comes with it. The undocumented "dtc_3181e=1" option for
    insmod did the trick. So a big thank you to you.

    The only problem I have at the moment is, that the scanner won't scan a color
    image in one turn but in many tiny steps, causing in a lot of noise and slow
    progress. It scans a short bit, stops, goes back and scans the next bit
    repeatedly. Is there a possible solution? Has this to do with the USLEEP
    values?

    The next question I have has been addressed here before, I'm sure, but I
    can't find anything in the archive about this. I have a Symbios Logic
    Controller that is equipped with the 53c810 chip. I always read that this
    card was a good choice to use for scanning, but I can't get it to work
    properly. I can get linux to detect the card, and a CD writer attached to the
    internal bus works without a problem. But as soon as I connect the scanner to
    the 50 pin external connector with a 50 - 50 SCSI II cable, nothing works
    anymore. The termination jumper on the card doesn't help. The scsi driver
    recognizes the scanner as "QALLEP" instead of "SCANNER" and it reports a
    parity error. Is there anything I can do? Unfortunately I don't have the
    money to buy all kinds of cable adapters (the Mustek has both, a 25 Pin and
    50 Pin SCSI connecor), so I would be most thankful if anyone could tell me,
    which adaptor I have to use to make this work.

    Alternatively, a solution to the first problem would be great as well :)

    How about a full text search function for the mailing list archive?

    --
    Dario Abatianni