Re: Compiling on OS/2

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 10:20:13 PDT

    On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 12:58:24AM +0200, Franz Bakan wrote:
    > No, I tried with --disable-dynamic, but it stops at
    >
    > $(LN_S) sane/libsane-dll.$(lib) $(libdir)/libsane.$(lib); \
    > $(LN_S) sane/libsane-dll.$$dllend $(libdir)/libsane.$$dllend ; \
    > cd $(libsanedir) && for n in libsane-dll.$$dllend.$(V_MAJOR)*; do \
    > nn=`echo $$n | sed 's,^libsane-dll,libsane,'`; \
    > (cd ..; $(LN_S) sane/$$n $$nn); \

    This creates the symbolic links in the library installation directory,
    usually /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/lib/sane.

    > (line 143ff in backend/Makefile.in)
    > with:
    > cp.exe: sane/libsane-dll.a: No such file or directory
    > cp.exe: sane/libsane-dll.: No such file or directory
    > cp.exe: sane/libsane-dll..1*: No such file or directory

    "ln -s" is the link command for symlinks. So the first line above means:
    "Create a file with the name "/usr/local/lib/libsane.a" that points to
    /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-dll.so." It uses a relative path
    "sane/libsane-dll.a".

    However there doesn't seem to exist a link (ln) command on OS/2 so
    cp is used. But cp doesn't understand relative paths.

    Maybe it's possible to use absolute paths but that's ugly.

    Also it looks like there is a problem with the library postfix.

    > Instead of 'sane/libsane-dll.a'
    > I have
    > '.libs/libsane-dll.a'
    > relative path to 'sane-backends/backend/'

    I think this part is only dealing with the installed versions of the
    libraries.

    > This may be a bug of the os2unix tool. I don't know.
    >
    > If I delete these 3 lines with (LN_S)
    > make install finishes.

    I'm not sure if this can be fixed easily.

    > test.exe (which seems to be needed by the build-process
    > of xscanimage) has to be compiled manually here.
    > Bug or feature?

    I'm not sure what you are talking about. test isn't compiled (or
    installed) automatically and that's intentional. $TESTPROGRAMS isn't
    in $PROGRAMS.

    I can't find any reference in sane-frontends/src/Makefile.in for test.
    Could you give some details?

    Bye,
      Henning