Re: Installation and man page of find-scanner

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 09:50:16 PST

    On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 04:37:17PM +0000, Nick Lamb wrote:
    > If there's really no-one to add even rudimentary USB support to the
    > find scanner tool we could go with your "sane-find-scsi-scanner" or
    > just add a message, in hope of future support:
    >
    > # Sorry, so far this tool only checks for SCSI scanners. If your scanner
    > # attaches via parallel (Printer) or USB port it may not be detected
    > # even if it is present and working.

    Don't you think the message that's printed now:

    # Note that find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
    # to a SCSI bus. It will even find scanners that are not supported
    # at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that is connected to a
    # parallel, USB or other non-SCSI port.

    is clear enough?

    I think this message and the man page are sufficient. When I play with
    the Mustek USB scanners I will try to implement something in
    find-scanner. So I think "sane-find-scanner" is the best choice. I
    don't want to rename it back and change all references again when a
    non-SCSI test is implemented.

    Bye,
      Henning