Re: quick note from the TWAIN/SANE meeting at OLS

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 15:43:00 PDT

    On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 12:42:26PM -0700, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:
    > Stephen> ICC Profiles, and their use. This is a significant lack in
    > Stephen> GIMP as well.
    >
    > Are you familiar with this stuff? If so, would you be willing to
    > write a proposal on how to add the required support? I think that
    > would help a lot of folks on this list better understand what it takes
    > to make this happen. I know TWAIN is working on this too, and I
    > wouldn't have a problem following the TWAIN approach for color spaces
    > where it makes sense (no point in reinventing the wheel).

    I am doing some work with ICC profiles. I've implemented a very crude
    prototype of a profile2profile plugin for the GIMP.

    We have access to a free color management library that I helped to port
    from Windows. All we really need is

      - a good profiler that makes it easy to create ICC profiles. With
        SCARSE at http://www.scarse.coloraid.de) the engine is at least
        implemented, but it's missing a GUI.
        The author of the iPhoto profiler (http://www.iphoto.coloraid.de) is
        considering porting his application to Linux.
      - a mechanism in SANE to select the target color space and to apply
        the ICC profiles. This should be handled by a service library that
        can be used by all backends, so that the backend authors don't have
        to deal with the finer points of CM stuff. I alwas wanted to implement
        a prototype for the EPSON backend, but never had the time to actually
        do it.
      - and most important for the long run: A color management system for Linux
        so that the management of profiles and the CM engine is no longer the
        responsibility of applications like SANE or GIMP, but is handled by a
        service module provided by the operating system.

    How does this sound?

    Karl Heinz