Re: quick note from the TWAIN/SANE meeting at OLS

From: Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 19:25:14 PDT

    On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 02:02:14PM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
    > I just might. How 'bout a JPEG file backend (kinda like the PNG driver)

    PNM driver? Good idea, but I wouldn't recommend using the PNM driver
    as an example to crib from, except at a very surface level.

    > that can read jpeg files and supports passing JFIF or RGB to the app?

    Yes, great idea. The proposal for SANE 1.x / 2.x I wrote at
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~njl98r/code/ suggests that the JFIF
    data would be sent in a frame of type
    SANE_FRAME_JPEG, a constant with the value 11, but you'd have to
    hard-code that in your backend for now I suppose.

    Assuming previews (if they're supported at all) are RGB only, to
    add support for _FRAME_JPEG to Xsane and so on is not difficult
    either, once the JPEG backend exists.

    A standard option for JFIF vs RGB (vs G3 ...) would be nice, and
    I didn't include one of those in that proposal, mostly because I
    hoped I'd get more feedback before continuing :(

    What else that you'd want in a "first cut" driver for your hardware
    is missing from the revised SANE 1.x as proposed? I have never seen
    any other proposals extending 1.0 but it's obviously needed, so I
    submit what little I had done for further improvements.