Re: quick note from the TWAIN/SANE meeting at OLS

From: David Mosberger-Tang (David.Mosberger@acm.org)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 12:42:26 PDT

    Hi Steve,

      Stephen> David.Mosberger@acm.org said:
    >> o add support for other image types (jpg for example)

      Stephen> I have various page scanners just dying to get SANE
      Stephen> drivers, but produce JPEG and TIF formatted image
      Stephen> streams. Sure, I can decompress them in the driver when
      Stephen> scanning into i.e. GIMP, but that is ridiculous when trying
      Stephen> to use these scanners at speed.

    The key is to find someone that has time to actually prototype this.
    Since SANE tends to follow the IETF approach of "rough concensus and
    working code", a working prototype is going to be critical to getting
    it into SANE. IMHO, this will need to be coupled with a library
    interface that provides conversion from one image format to another
    (possibly by going through a shared intermediate representation). I
    have some ideas on how to do this and would love to work on a
    prototype, but given my current workload, I won't be able to work on
    this very soon. So, if someone else wanted to work on this, let us
    all know.

      Stephen> David.Mosberger@acm.org said:
    >> o colorspace support (I don't know what this would entail
    >> exactly)

      Stephen> ICC Profiles, and their use. This is a significant lack in
      Stephen> GIMP as well.

    Are you familiar with this stuff? If so, would you be willing to
    write a proposal on how to add the required support? I think that
    would help a lot of folks on this list better understand what it takes
    to make this happen. I know TWAIN is working on this too, and I
    wouldn't have a problem following the TWAIN approach for color spaces
    where it makes sense (no point in reinventing the wheel).

            --david