Re: New CVS snapshot 20000213

From: John Vickers (jvickers@dial.pipex.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 03:25:03 PST

    {1st post of this apparently got dropped too]

    abel deuring wrote:

    > [second attempt to write this mail: the first obviously did get through
    > to the mailing list]
    >
    > Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
    > >
    > > Time to release a new CVS snapshot of the unstable development version
    > > of SANE. I planned this snapshot to mark the code freeze before we
    > > release SANE 1.0.2, but will postpone the code freeze to next Sunday.
    > > The mailing list has been offline for one week, and I do not feel
    > > comfortable doing code freeze after one week of silence.
    >
    > I compiled the CVS state from yesterday evening with egcs version
    > 2.91.66/Suse Linux 6.3. The compiler spits out countless warnings
    > "pointer type void used in integer arithmetic". Most if not all of there
    > warnings come from memset (13 warnings for each call) and string
    > functions like strcps or strcmp (3 warnings for each call).

    I'd suggest trying a build with --save-temps, and looking at the
    resulting .i
    files. I suspect libc defines memset, and other string functions using
    weird
    macros with inline asms. There is a libc preprocessor symbol which can
    be defined
    to disable these macros, and use library calls instead, but I don't have
    the docs
    to hand: it's probably obvious from the relevant libc include file.

    Building the whole of Sane with --save-temps will obviously burn a lot
    more
    disk than usual.

    If this is the problem, it could be a libc bug that we get these
    warnings.

    > Therefore I suggest to remove the flag -Wpointer-arith from the final
    > release.

    Or maybe remove all the warning flags, even. I get huge numbers of
    warnings
    building Sane with "-W -Wall". But for development releases,
    we should really be trying to get rid of the causes of the warnings.

    John.