Re: xsane 0.11 available

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:54:35 +0100

wolfgang rapp wrote:

> Hello,
> I tested xsane-0.11 on linux 2.0.32 with net backend and a local HP
> PhotoSmart.
> I had some crashes if I browse through the options at different places.
> Especially if I unswitch RGB default. It seems this depends on the
> history what is done earlier. But normally it works. 0.10 seems to be
> more stable.
> I also compiled xsane for my Unixware Version - it works.
> But the lines of code containing the C++ syntax with // as comment
> increase from version to version. For portability if not using gcc this
> takes time to alter and compile.
> Very nice that the preview window follow the gamma, bightness ...
> changes.
>
> At least one proposal for an enhencement to xsane. Unix like OS have the
> powerfull
> element of pipes. Xsane must use temp files for copy to lp anywhere. So
> it would increase flexibility if xsane would detect that stdout is a
> pipe, disable filename window and scan button and write ppm data to
> stdout. It should be done in half an hour.
> I made me a version of xscanimage with this behavior.

Hi Wolfgang,

Sane does not use pipes for writing image-data, because three pass scanners send
the image data in single colors. So scanimage/xsane needs to store at least two
of the
three colors and then merge it together. That makes a lot of problems with pipes
beacuse
you can not do a rewind on a pipe.

If you use the photocopy mode of xsane, xsane writes the postscript file to
stdout.
You can enter any command that can handle pipes in printersetup, eg: "xv -"
instead of "lpr -"

I don`t see any advantage of writing a pnm file to stdout in a graphical user
interface. You can use
scanimage for it.

Bye
Oliver