Re: Java API

Jeff Freedman (jsf@hevanet.com)
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:53:55 -0700

becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:

> Moreover we would automatically
> gain some limited "sane client" for Win.

Hold on a second! I'm not recoding the whole thing in Java, just
writing a "native methods" interface to the current program. You'll
still need a "libsane.so" (or "sane.dll") compiled for your system.

Of course, it is possible to write ALL the backends in Java. But you'd
still need native methods to talk to the SCSI device.

Will you use the C API or the
> network-API ?

I'm not familiar with the network-API. What I'm doing is writing Java
versions of the dozen or so SANE API calls, and also writing JAVA
equivalents to the structs that they use.

-- Jeff