Re: Java API

Jeff Freedman (jsf@hevanet.com)
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 13:34:39 -0700

Guido Muesch wrote:

> Hi
>
> Well, I was the one who started with a Java API half a year ago. I put
> a hold on this because I have to write a thesis (which will be finished
> next week 8-)). I would like to look into this again.
>
> My approach was to only use the network interface, because I want to
> access the SANE interface from applets also.

It sounds like we're working on different things, which is good. My
eventual plan is to be able to write a Java application similar to
"xscanimage".

> I have not coded much, and only got the first few commands running.
> David got my code so far and Larry Ewing who was also interesting in
> continueing working on this.

If you were using native methods under JDK 1.0.x, you'll find that the
interface is GREATLY improved under 1.1.x, and there's even a nice
tutorial on the javasoft site that shows how to use it.

-- Jeff