Re: How to write a backend?

From: Sebastien Sable (Sebastien.Sable@snv.jussieu.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 05:42:30 PDT

    Pierre Abbat <phma@oltronics.net> writes:

    > If I need to reverse engineer the driver, do I need any special hardware? I
    > know someone with a data line monitor, but this is a parallel-port scanner.

    No, you can use a modified ASPI driver under windows or a modified
    wine scsi driver to dump every packet. I explained it more or less
    into details in a mail some time ago on this list. However it is
    extremely boring and gives random results.

    > How do I find the protocol? I asked Memorex for the technical specs and they
    > told me it's not designed for Unix, which is a silly answer.

    You have been introduced to the main problem of the linux driver
    writer : clueless manufacturers. You may try to lie by telling you are
    writing a driver for windows, or you are a potential very important
    customer needing linux support, or whatever reason, but that may not
    work... I am currently contacting braille displays manufacturers to
    write drivers for a project of mine: some are very interested, some
    really don't care and wouldn't give their (uninteresting, poorly
    designed) protocol for all the gold in the world.

    bye

    --
    Sébastien Sablé <Sebastien.Sable@snv.jussieu.fr>
    http://inova.snv.jussieu.fr/~sable/