Re: compiling latest sane on PowerPC Linux

From: Major A (andras@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 05:16:39 PDT

    Fred,

    > I've downloaded the lastest sane (1.0.5) or my PowerPC Linux
    > system. The systems is glibc 2.1.3 and kernel 2.4.6 debian
    > based. I get errors saying inb and outb are undefined.

    We had someone else on the list who had a very similar problem. You
    are running debian with a 2.4.x kernel (i.e. you built it yourself),
    and I have the same set-up (on i386 and alpha machines though).

    Note that a debian install has its own /usr/include/asm and
    /usr/include/linux directories, so if you build your own kernel, it
    might be worth replacing them by symbolic links to the two relevant
    directories in /usr/src/linux/include (I hope you keep your kernel
    source there).

    > A check through the kernl header files yields no definitions
    > except in one of the asm headers. Including the asm
    > header did not work so I suspect the problem was at
    > the linker stage.

    Is it the ld command that complains? If so, you have the same problem
    as that other user (can't remember their name).

    > Doesn't inb and outb have something to do with the ISA bus?
    > My PowerPC machine has no ISA bus.

    It has to do with the stupid I/O handling on i386 machines. If you ask
    me, it should not really be needed for any other architecture. Maybe
    it just makes writing cross-platform stuff easier to keep it for all
    platforms.

    Hope this helps, any corrections are welcome.

      Andras