Re: How to write a backend?

From: karsten.festag@t-online.de
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 02:58:15 PDT

    No, you don't need more hardware than the scanner and the computer
    (except a lot of patience...). You should read the documentation about
    the SANE-Standard (available at www.mostang.com/sane) and you should
    have a look at the pnm-backend. That is a kind of example-backend which
    reads a pnm image instead of driving a scanner. If you understand how
    it works, you know the basics about backends.
    Try to find out what hardware is built into your scanner and if there
    are similar devices that probably already have a backend.
    Getting information about the protocol of the scanner is mostly the
    biggest problem. If you are lucky the manufacturer releases some
    information. Otherwise you have to snoop the windows driver.

    Best wishes
    Karsten Festag

    Hi Pierre