Re: Nikon Coolscan SCSI commands

From: Major A (andras@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 02:25:33 PDT

    Karl Heinz,

    > If you want to scan negatives, you need a library of rules to remove
    > the orange mask for all sorts of films. In vuescan you select the
    > brand (e.g. Kodak) and then the type of film (e.g. Gold) and then
    > the emulsion revision (e.g. 6), so it's a rather sophisticated
    > algorithm to remove the mask.

    If it's only the mask, I think it should be rather easy to take into
    account: scan an unexposed part of the film, this gives you the mask
    only, then you know what you have to correct the other parts of the
    image with in order to get rid of the mask.

    Do you know where the mask physically comes from?

    > This is just one feature that makes or breaks a scanning application
    > for slides/negatives.

    Are there any others?

      Andras