Re: Nikon Coolscan SCSI commands

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 17:48:02 PDT

    Take a look at vuescan. This application is used a lot among
    serious "film scanners" (aka professional photographers).
    IMHO the only thing missing in vuescan is the curve tool.

    If you want to scan negatives, you need a library of rules to remove
    the orange mask for all sorts of films. In vuescan you select the
    brand (e.g. Kodak) and then the type of film (e.g. Gold) and then
    the emulsion revision (e.g. 6), so it's a rather sophisticated
    algorithm to remove the mask.

    This is just one feature that makes or breaks a scanning application
    for slides/negatives.

    You can download an evaluation version of vuescan from
    http://hamrick.com/vsm.html

    There is a Windows, a Mac and a Linux version of the software.

    Karl Heinz

    Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net
    PGP Key at http://www.freecolormanagement.com/download/khk.asc
    EPSON Sane Backend:         http://www.freecolormanagement.com