Re: colorusb from Acer : My Scanner S2W 3300U USB finally works! Thank You.

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 18:41:24 PDT

    Sebastien Sable wrote:

    > Nuno Nunes <nmcnunes@yahoo.com> writes:
    >
    > > From: APFService@acercm.com.tw
    >
    > > Please download the driver for Linux in following link.
    > > http://www.acercm.com.tw/tw/service/scan/drivers/Linux/sane-1.0.4.tar.gz
    >
    > I took a look at this. It seems acer has been modifying the snapscan
    > backend to support their new scanners. And since they have a better
    > knowledge of all the different models, the identification part seems
    > to be cleaner. They even included the firmwares for each scanner...
    >
    > Since their code is based on sane I suppose it is all under the
    > GPL. So it could be integrated in the official sane. And on top of
    > that we got the documentation for the protocol recently... I don't
    > have time to work on the backend yet, but I bet we could greatly
    > improve it with all that.

    Don't suppose. _Demand_! They modify GPL code, the mods are GPL. No
    supposing involved.

    > On the other side, it shows that manufacturers are realizing that free
    > software is getting more and more popular since Acer used to not even
    > answer to messages concerning linux and now they contribute code for
    > it. Great.
    >
    > > Sorry if you already knew that Acer was making available a "backend?" (I
    > > didn't find it in the sane/usb documention, links or mailing list archive)
    > > but for me this was a "Finally I can use my scanner !".
    >
    > Well I didn't know at least, so thanks to you for the info.

    This seems a pretty positive move, except they called their release sane
    1.0.4 clearly is not. Also, they have made no attempt to play nicely,
    cooperate, and get their changes into the mainstream code. I'd give them
    4/10, which is better than the -1/10 they got before.

    Where have they made the protocol info available? I would find that
    quite interesting.

    Regards,
    Steve