Re: colorusb from Acer : My Scanner S2W 3300U USB finally works! Thank You.

From: Sebastien Sable (Sebastien.Sable@snv.jussieu.fr)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 03:13:57 PDT

    Nuno Nunes <nmcnunes@yahoo.com> writes:

    > From: APFService@acercm.com.tw

    > Please download the driver for Linux in following link.
    > http://www.acercm.com.tw/tw/service/scan/drivers/Linux/sane-1.0.4.tar.gz

    I took a look at this. It seems acer has been modifying the snapscan
    backend to support their new scanners. And since they have a better
    knowledge of all the different models, the identification part seems
    to be cleaner. They even included the firmwares for each scanner...

    Since their code is based on sane I suppose it is all under the
    GPL. So it could be integrated in the official sane. And on top of
    that we got the documentation for the protocol recently... I don't
    have time to work on the backend yet, but I bet we could greatly
    improve it with all that.

    On the other side, it shows that manufacturers are realizing that free
    software is getting more and more popular since Acer used to not even
    answer to messages concerning linux and now they contribute code for
    it. Great.

    > Sorry if you already knew that Acer was making available a "backend?" (I
    > didn't find it in the sane/usb documention, links or mailing list archive)
    > but for me this was a "Finally I can use my scanner !".

    Well I didn't know at least, so thanks to you for the info.

    --
    Sébastien Sablé <Sebastien.Sable@snv.jussieu.fr>
    http://inova.snv.jussieu.fr/~sable/