colorusb from Acer : My Scanner S2W 3300U USB finally works! Thank You.

From: Nuno Nunes (nmcnunes@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 20:11:43 PDT

    Finally, one of my emails to Acer got the answer I was looking for :

      From: APFService@acercm.com.tw
      Subject: RE: Support for Scanner Acer S2W 3300U ("Scan to Web")
      Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:01:55 +0800

      Dear Customer:

      Thanks for using acer.
      Please download the driver for Linux in following link.
      http://www.acercm.com.tw/tw/service/scan/drivers/Linux/sane-1.0.4.tar.gz

      Regards
      CMP Service Center

    I downloaded the tarball, compiled it (well, the script did it !) and after a
    few months fighting with my scanner, it _worked_.
    Just changed from egcs-2.91.66 to gcc-2.96, and not only compiled but worked
    just like it was supposed to be.
    Preview, scan in color&b/w, etc.

      [nuno@localhost nuno]$ scanimage -L
      device `colorusb:/dev/usb/scanner0' is a Color FlatbedScanner21 flatbed
      scanner
      [nuno@localhost nuno]$

    Sorry if you already knew that Acer was making available a "backend?" (I
    didn't find it in the sane/usb documention, links or mailing list archive)
    but for me this was a "Finally I can use my scanner !".

    Thank's to USB & SANE & ACER & all the other guys !

    Nuno Nunes

    P.S. - The first message I sended to this mailing list was CC'd to usb devel
    and Acer, but didn't arrive here. (My other email address was not subscribed
    to the list)