Re: yet another release

From: Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida (moitinho@civil.ist.utl.pt)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 02:17:38 PDT

    On Wednesday 04 July 2001 10:08, you wrote:
    > Am Mittwoch, 4. Juli 2001 10:42 schrieben Sie:
    > > b) I tested the behaviour of vuescan, which should theoretically work
    > > "out of the box" with a "scsi" device and it detects the scanner, but
    > > waits for over 10 minutes and then times out. It correctly identifies the
    > > scanner, but fails to show the "properties" (dpi, etc).
    >
    > That is because vuescan will use the largest possible buffer of 128KB,
    > which needs scatter/gather to work. Version 0.0.1 claims to support
    > scatter/gather, but doesn't do anything, if someone tries to use it.
    >
    > > The logs show that when the program times out it is waiting on a read,
    > > but I understand that for the promised behaviour of version 0.0.1 this is
    > > normal. I will try version 0.0.2 tonight (but before I will check for
    > > updates).
    >
    > I'll do no programming today. I promise.

    Quick report for 0.0.2

    Apparently it is going a bit further than 0.0.1 - it enters and exits
    scatter/gather and "larger logs" are created - but it hangs and it is not
    possible to kill the process, even with a -9 or turning off the scanner. For
    version 0.0.1 I could always kill the process just with a ^c.

    I added some extra comments to try to detect in what situations the hang is
    occurring, but without success. I will try harder ....

    Do you think that it is better for me to adapt the avision driver of sane so
    that it accepts the scanner instead of working with vuescan?

    Regards