Linux Mandrake 8 problems with SCSI scanners

From: Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 19:25:55 PDT

    Douglas Gilbert wrote:

    > Bob Jerrard wrote:
    > >
    > > In trying to get an HP ScanJet 4c operational on a new Mandrake 8.0
    > > Linux machine I have installed
    > >
    > > sane-1.0.4-2mdk
    > > sane-backends-1.0.4-2mdk
    > > libsane1-1.0.4-2mdk
    > > [snip, device lock up which didn't happen before ..]
    >
    > Bob,
    > Looks like Mandrake 8.0 may not have picked up the patch for
    > SCSI command timeouts that has been in SANE CVS since January.
    > I'll download their source rpms and check.

    Responding to my own post ...

    After downloading Mandrake 8's SANE [1.0.4] source rpm I
    can confirm that it is the release tarball without
    patches. This means some SCSI scanners will timeout
    prematurely causing the above mentioned problems.
    [Some USB scanners that use the sg interface (e.g.
    Microtek) may also have this problem.]

    I reported this error to Linux-Mandrake but have
    received no acknowledgement. Mandrake users with
    support may like to report this error as well. Mandrake
    needs to issue a SANE (backend) rpm to fix this problem.
    As a work around Mandrake users might try to remove the
    Mandrake SANE rpms and install those from Redhat 7.1 .
    Another approach may be to wait for SANE 1.0.5 to be
    released.

    Doug Gilbert