Hardware details for FB630U

From: Simon Heywood (simon.heywood@physics.org)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 17:38:23 PDT

    After running out of options for trying to understand the interface, I
    decided to pull my scanner to pieces earlier this evening. Canon had done
    a good job with one-piece moulded plastic and unnecessary amounts of glue,
    but I got the glass off and removed the PCB cover without breaking
    anything. And yes, they've gone out of their way to cut corners.

    (1) LM9830 chip, courtesy of National Semiconductor (note: parallel port

    (2) GL640 USB-to-parallel convertor. Docs are fairly inpenetrable, though
    I hoped someone here might have come across this chip before: it's a
    standard one used in printers, IIRC. Anyway, here's the link:

    (3) One other large chip (an SBT, SB61H1024AS-12), which looks like RAM,
    plus other small ones (I've noted numbers and taken photos of the PCB for

    So it looks like we're dealing with a parallel port scanner with a USB
    interface tacked on. Any suggestions as to where to start...?

      Simon Heywood <simon.heywood@physics.org>
      website: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~phucq/