Hardware details for FB630U

From: Simon Heywood (simon.heywood@physics.org)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 17:38:23 PDT

    After running out of options for trying to understand the interface, I
    decided to pull my scanner to pieces earlier this evening. Canon had done
    a good job with one-piece moulded plastic and unnecessary amounts of glue,
    but I got the glass off and removed the PCB cover without breaking
    anything. And yes, they've gone out of their way to cut corners.

    Findings:

    (1) LM9830 chip, courtesy of National Semiconductor (note: parallel port
    chip).

    (2) GL640 USB-to-parallel convertor. Docs are fairly inpenetrable, though
    I hoped someone here might have come across this chip before: it's a
    standard one used in printers, IIRC. Anyway, here's the link:

    http://www.genesyslogic.com/gl640ucb.htm

    (3) One other large chip (an SBT, SB61H1024AS-12), which looks like RAM,
    plus other small ones (I've noted numbers and taken photos of the PCB for
    posterity).

    So it looks like we're dealing with a parallel port scanner with a USB
    interface tacked on. Any suggestions as to where to start...?

    Cheers,

    --
      Simon Heywood <simon.heywood@physics.org>
      website: http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~phucq/