Re: Hope you don't mind a HELP-ME! post?

From: Rupert Heesom (raheesom@navpoint.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 08:31:56 PDT

    On 11 May 2001 18:14:39 +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 07:50:35PM -0400, Rupert Heesom wrote:
    > > I have a scsi scanner: Umax Astra 1220S. I had RPMs of xsane & sane
    > > installed from the Ximian Gnome 1.4 RPM set. I suddenly found that I
    > > could no longer get previews when I was using xsane. According to my
    > > syslog, when I loaded xsane, modprobe was looking for "char-major-81"
    > > which it couldn't find. The scanner was then taken offline until I
    > > rebooted the PC.
    > >
    > > I found however that after a reboot, I could load xsane and do a
    > > straight scan OK (bypassing preview).
    > >
    > > I looked at the kernel source (I'm running 2.4.3) documentation for
    > > "char-major-81" and was not convinced that my problem lay directly with
    > > that error (Video4Linux!?).
    >
    > SANE can use Video4Linux devices. To be sure that there won't be any
    > problem with v4l you can disable it in /usr/etc/sane.d/dll.conf (or
    > wherever your Distribution puts this file).

    In my /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf file there's only a list of what
    looks like scanner makes. I have all of the lines, except for the "umax"
    line commented out. However I'm not getting far enough with the lack of
    xsane & xscanimage loading for this to be a problem! How is v4l usually
    listed in the dll.conf file?

    > > It may have been around the time of my kernel change from the RH7
    > > default of 2.2.16-22 to the stock kernel of 2.4.3 (because I wanted the
    > > LVM facility in the 2.4 kernel). I read something about scanning being
    > > messed up when changing kernels because a setting SG_BIG_BUFF is reset
    > > to a smaller value than before the kernel change which affects the
    > > memory that sane thinks it has. 2 paths were mentioned:
    >
    > I don't think that that's the problem. Look at the SANE FAQ
    > (http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljm/SANE-faq.html#65) for a solution of the
    > Linux 2.4 timeout problem.

    Well, the relevant part of the FAQ said this, but I couldn't find the
    file/content that it was referring to. I assume the
    "sanei/sanei_scsi.c" is a source file in the 2.4 kernel tree. I could
    not find this file using the command ....

    find /usr/src/linux -iname '*sanei*'

    The SG driver changed. But the guilty one is me; I used a too short
    timeout value for the new SG driver. In sanei/sanei_scsi.c, look for a
    line like

    req->sgdata.sg3.hdr.timeout = 10000;
    (line 1892 for Sane 1.0.4), and change it to

    req->sgdata.sg3.hdr.timeout = 1000 * 10 * 60;

    Like you, I don't think that's the problem either. xsane/xscanimage
    isn't getting that far.

    > > If I try to run xscanimage with the Debugging level set to 4 ....
    > >
    > > [rupert@localhost rupert]$xscanimage
    > > [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of xscanimage to 4.
    > > [xscanimage] xscanimage (version: 1.0.4, package: sane-frontends)
    > > starting
    > > [xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting
    > > something
    > > different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
    > > detected by the find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please
    > > read
    > > the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
    > > manpages).
    > > [xscanimage] xscanimage exiting.
    > >
    > > ...... it doesn't tell me much, except what I already know.
    >
    > Set the debug level of your backend, not the debug level of xscanimage.

    Well, after looking at some man pages, I set up the env var
    SANE_DEBUG_UMAX=128. Then tried xsane, xscanimage & scanimage.
    Scanimage was the only program which reported a full set of msgs. The
    other just reported the same as before (virtually nothing).

    I even tried adding more specs to the /usr/local/etc/sane.d/umax.conf
    file. Added info to the device identification line ....
    [..] indicates the way the line above it used to be.

    # linux device identification:
    #scsi vendor model type bus channel id lun
    scsi UMAX "Astra 1220S" Scanner scsi1 00 05 *
    [scsi UMAX * Scanner * * * * *]
    /dev/scanner

    The only discrepancy I can see regarding the scanner device file
    settings is that /proc/scsi/scsi reports the scanner on "scsi1".....

    [rupert@localhost rupert]$cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST39236LW Rev: 0010
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
      Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST39173N Rev: 6244
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
      Vendor: HP Model: CD-Writer+ 9200 Rev: 1.0e
      Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 04
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
      Vendor: UMAX Model: Astra 1220S Rev: V1.3
      Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02

    .....whereas the /dev/sg3 device file reports the scanner on
    SCSI_ID="0,5,0" (which to me would indicate scsi bus 0).

    BTW, after editing the umax.conf file, do I assume correctly that
    scanimage, xsane, xscanimage will automatically read it when loaded?

    I've included my umax.conf file here in case you can see anything wrong
    with it.....

    #
    # Options for the umax backend
    option scsi-maxqueue 2
    option scsi-buffer-size-min 65536
    option scsi-buffer-size-max 262144
    option scan-lines 100
    option preview-lines 20
    option execute-request-sense 0
    option force-preview-bit-rgb 0
    option lamp-control-available 0
    #
    # linux device identification:
    #scsi vendor model type bus channel id lun
    scsi UMAX "Astra 1220S" Scanner scsi1 00 05 *
    /dev/scanner
    #scsi LinoHell JADE
    #scsi LinoHell Office
    #scsi LinoHell Office2