Hope you don't mind a HELP-ME! post?

From: Rupert Heesom (raheesom@navpoint.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 16:50:35 PDT

    Hi SANE developers:

    I am looking around for some help on getting xsane or xscanimage
    working. scanimage works for me already.

    for SANE, and that you probably don't mind a couple of non-devel posts.

    I have a scsi scanner: Umax Astra 1220S. I had RPMs of xsane & sane
    installed from the Ximian Gnome 1.4 RPM set. I suddenly found that I
    could no longer get previews when I was using xsane. According to my
    syslog, when I loaded xsane, modprobe was looking for "char-major-81"
    which it couldn't find. The scanner was then taken offline until I
    rebooted the PC.

    I found however that after a reboot, I could load xsane and do a
    straight scan OK (bypassing preview).

    I looked at the kernel source (I'm running 2.4.3) documentation for
    "char-major-81" and was not convinced that my problem lay directly with
    that error (Video4Linux!?).

    It may have been around the time of my kernel change from the RH7
    default of 2.2.16-22 to the stock kernel of 2.4.3 (because I wanted the
    LVM facility in the 2.4 kernel). I read something about scanning being
    messed up when changing kernels because a setting SG_BIG_BUFF is reset
    to a smaller value than before the kernel change which affects the
    memory that sane thinks it has. 2 paths were mentioned:

    /usr/include/scsi/sg.h .... only only line in my such file is.....

    #define SG_BIG_BUFF SG_DEF_RESERVED_SIZE /* for backward
    compatibility */

    ....the other path mentioned was /proc/sys/kernel/sg_big_buff. I don't
    have such a file on my system.

    I then decided to try upgrading my sane / xsane software.

    I am running RH 7, which has that gcc controversy (gcc 2.96-69). Even
    so, I managed to download the following tarballs - .....

    xsane-0.76.tar.gz
    sane-umax-1.0.4-build-25.tar.gz
    sane-backends-1.0.4.tar.gz
    sane-frontends-1.0.4.tar.gz

    .... and compile them OK (I think it was OK).

    The directories used by sane/xsane are
    /usr/local/bin
    /usr/local/lib
    /usr/local/lib/sane

    I did add "/usr/local/lib" into the /etc/ld.so.conf file, and ran
    "ldconfig", according to the sane source documentation.

    I now find that I can run scanimage OK (except not at the resolution I
    want (200 - 400). But when I try to run xscanimage or xsane, both
    report not being able to find my scanner.

    My scanner /dev files are such ....

    [rupert@localhost /dev]$file scanner sg3 sgd
    scanner: symbolic link to /dev/sgd
    sg3: character special (21/3)
    sgd: symbolic link to sg3

    The scsi info for sg3 -

    [rupert@localhost /dev]$scsi_info sg3
    SCSI_ID="0,5,0"
    MODEL="UMAX Astra 1220S"
    FW_REV="V1.3"

    I should mention that my scanner is on a secondary scsi card (adaptec
    2906) whereas the rest of my scsi devices are on the main 2940U2W
    adaptec card. One thing that bothers me, is that, in looking at the
    scsi devices, /dev/sg3 shows the scanner on SCSI_ID="0,5,0", and my main
    disk device, /dev/sda shows itself also on SCSI_ID="0,0,0" as below.....

    [root@localhost /dev]#scsi_info sda
    SCSI_ID="0,0,0"
    MODEL="SEAGATE ST39236LW"
    FW_REV="0010"

    ....whereas on /proc/scsi/scsi, you can see that the scanner is on the
    2nd scsi card .......

    [root@localhost /dev]#cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST39236LW Rev: 0010
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
      Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST39173N Rev: 6244
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
      Vendor: HP Model: CD-Writer+ 9200 Rev: 1.0e
      Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 04
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
      Vendor: UMAX Model: Astra 1220S Rev: V1.3
      Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02

    Could this be a problem? That the scanner device is reporting the
    scanner on the wrong scsi card? But then how does "scanimage" manage to
    find the scanner??

    If I try to run xscanimage with the Debugging level set to 4 ....

    [rupert@localhost rupert]$xscanimage
    [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of xscanimage to 4.
    [xscanimage] xscanimage (version: 1.0.4, package: sane-frontends)
    starting
    [xscanimage] No scanners were identified. If you were expecting
    something
              different, check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and
              detected by the find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please
    read
              the documentation which came with this software (README, FAQ,
              manpages).
    [xscanimage] xscanimage exiting.

    ...... it doesn't tell me much, except what I already know.

    I reckon, if anyone knows how to solve my problem, you guys will.

    I'm hoping it's a config issue rather than a compile issue.
    Is there any direction anyone can point me in to solve this?

    --
    regs
    rupert