Re: [snapscan] new version snapscan-20010411 of the backend - success with Agfa 1212U_2

From: Klaus-Peter Schrage (kpschrage@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 08:00:33 PDT

    Hi, Ceri,
    yes, my scanner is usb. It is essential that you have a kernel with proper
    usb support. I don't know much about the latest 2.4.x kernels, for me version
    2.2.18 is allright. I downloaded it as source from kernel.org and compiled it
    (under Calder Open Linux 2.4) to suit my needs, espescially usb.
    You can find most useful hints at http://www.linux-usb.org (and in your
    kernel documentation at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb, esp. the file
    scanner.txt), but I can give you the relevant kernel config info:
    #
    # USB support
    #
    CONFIG_USB=m
    CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
    CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
    CONFIG_USB_UHCI=m ((yours might be: CONFIG_USB_OHCI=m, if in doubt, use both))
    CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=m
    All other options in the usb section are not set, as I don't have any other
    usb devices.

    After a successful kernel compile and installation of modules, you should
    make known the new device to you system:
            `mknod /dev/usbscanner0 c 180 48`
            `ln -s /dev/usbscanner0 /dev/usbscanner`
            `chmod 666 /dev/usbscanner0`
    and load the modules:
            'modprobe usb-uhci'
            'modprobe scanner'
    Then sane should recognize your scanner, but other problems might occur which
    are device specific; see the faqs at the sane website.
    BTW: Which scanner are you using?
    Best wishes
    KP