Re: Getting my scanner to work

From: Robert N. Eaton (moth28@infinet-is.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 12:18:48 PST

    Mark Stewart wrote:

    > Huh? I hadn't actually tried logging in directly; I had always su'd to root
    > from my user login. I'll have to try it but first let me see if I understand
    > the situation:
    >
    > login as user:
    > -nothing works
    > loging as root:
    > -terminal-> 'xscanimage' doesn't work
    > -desktop applauncher->xscanimage *does* work
    >
    > That doesn't seem right. Is it?
    >
    > ::mark

    Mark,

    You have stated it succinctly: That doesn't seem right. But, it is! I
    have _no_ explanation nor theory, except that obviously permissions
    somewhere need to be reset.

    Ulrich Dieters wrote:

    >file permissions: My first guess is that /dev/scanner (or whatever your
    >device file is called) should have rw permissions for you.

    I wish I had /dev/scanner. That would have made things easier. I
    shotgunned the /dev/sd* with chmod 666. Maybe that would work. Just
    checked. How 'bout that! It did! Wow!

    Muchas gracias! Vielen Dank! Many thanks!

    Bob Eaton