Re: Umax 600s/Adaptec 2906 trouble

From: Rod Pike (rodneyp@utanet.at)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 18:58:45 PST

    On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 11:07:50AM -0500, Mark Stewart wrote:
    > Hi Rod,
    >

    > > > The Adaptec card is listed (sort of) on Mandrake's supported
    > > > hardware
    > page
    > > > (it claims to support Adaptec AHA-29xx PCI which I've assumed,
    > > > perhaps wrongly, is a match for my Adaptec 2906). Kudzu also
    > > > seemed to recognize
    > the
    > > > card when I first installed it although it thinks it's a
    > "Adaptec|AHA-7850".
    > > > Its message in /var/log/message was "kudzu: aliased
    > > > scsi-hostadapter1 as aic7xxx". Harddrake agrees with this. I'm
    > > > pretty sure I am hitting the
    > right
    > > > SCSI channel; /dev/scanner is symlinked from /dev/sga. /dev/sg0 is
    > > > also linked to /dev/scanner. Finally, I'm using a good, short SCSI
    > > > cable connected directly to the scanner with nothing else on the
    > > > chain.
    > > >
    > > And both the 2906 and the scanner are terminated....right?
    >
    > Well, the scanner is terminated. How so should the 2906 be terminated?

    With nothing else in the SCSI chain, both the scanner and host adaptor
    (2906) should be terminated. I believe in the BIOS for the 2906 the
    termination can be set to Autoterm, Enabled, or Disabled. The default
    should be Autoterm, but you may want to check to make sure it's set to
    Autoterm or Enabled and not Disabled.

    Cheers and good luck,
    Rod

    --