Re: Mustek 12000SP works! but color wash out seen

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 13:42:39 PST

    On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 10:35:15AM -0600, Kurt Savegnago wrote:
    > When I saved the images in a variety of formats and then open them
    > in XV or GIMP the color is washed out. I have Sane set for color
    > and "Acquire Preview" gives an acceptable image. I haven't messed with
    > the settings. Is there something I need to do to get it to save the
    > color information properly?

    The data that is saved is exactly the data that is send by the
    scanner. You can adjust gamma values by activating the check box "use
    custom gamma" and using the gamma curve.

    > I also went ahead and built xsane-0.64. I used to have problems
    > in the past but not anymore. It compiled and installed without
    > difficulty. I set up a separate account logged out of root and
    > logged-in to the new account. I got Xsane up and running fine.
    > Again, here I could acquire a preview in full color but when I
    > saved the images the color would be washed out when opening in
    > XV or GIMP

    What do you mean by "washed out"? Are the colors to bright? I have
    never heard about something like this. Are you sure that you don't
    have problems with your display (maybe only 256 colors)? Does this
    happen with scanimage, too (compare the result of a normal scan with a
    preview (e.g. 100 dpi))? If this happens, can you put the two images
    on a www or ftp server because I want to check this?

    Bye,
      Henning