Umax 2200 Scsi - PIII 800 Mhz

From: Stephen Carr (sgcarr@civeng.adelaide.edu.au)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 14:36:03 PST

    Dear All

    I have been trying to get a Umax 2200 scanner to run under Linux
    2.4.0-test10 with XFree-4.0.1 and the latest back and front ends.
    The system is 256 Mb ram 800 Mhz PIII, acard 6712 SCSI card
    and an Aopen 34X Pro mother board with the Via 686a chipset.
    .
    The scanner works fine under Windoze 95.

    In Linux scanimage -L detects the scanner and I can get an image
    sometimes but if I use xscanimage or xsane-0.64 I get
    segmentation faults nearly all the time with a flash of a dialog box
    with a message of the type "searching for scanners". This is as the
    program tries to load - I have not compiled the code with debugging
    enabled or run it yet with any debug status - I await your advice.

    In one instance xsane loaded and I could use it but could not
    change resolutions etc but I could switch the lamp on or off. I then
    thought is it load dependent ? So I ran a compute intensive job and
    while the job was running xsane loaded immediately and I could
    also change selections eg resolution where as before I could not
    change them.

    This was done late at night 1 am - I am going to knock the speed
    down to 500 say and see if it works.

    Also the system will lock up hard requiring the reset switch to be
    pressed and I thought it was the scsi bus but I have checked that
    the scanner is actively terminated - there was no mention in the
    supplied documentation regarding termination but I saw a technote
    on the Umax site - dismantled the scanner and checked the
    jumper since it did not come with a terminator - a CD writer is on
    the scsi bus and works fine using gcombust.

    I am willing to help test/check any new releases or patches.

    The scanner has a usb port - it does not work even though it is
    listed in scanner.h in the kernel source.

    Thanks to all

    Stephen Carr

    Stephen Carr
    Computing Officer
    University of Adelaide
    Adelaide, South Australia,
    Australia 5005
    Phone +618 8303-4313
    Fax +618 8303-4359
    Email sgcarr@civeng.adelaide.edu.au
    and contains information which may be confidential and/or
    copyright. If you are not the intended recipient please
    do not read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents
    of this email. If this email has been sent to you in error,
    please notify the sender by reply email and delete this
    email and any copies or links to this email completely and
    immediately from your system. No representation is made
    that this email is free of viruses. Virus scanning is