Re: Problem with scan quality using UMAX Astra 1220S

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 13:44:16 PST

    Rod Pike wrote:

    > > I have no idea about ide2scsi emulation. I'm not compiling my own kernel here
    > > so it's configured however RH6.2 ships it.
    > >
    > > That's it for the common info between for the two machines.
    > >
    > > The computer that is giving problems is as follows
    > > AMD-K6-2 550 ( 550 MHz )
    > > 128M RAM
    > >
    > > The computer that is giving a cleaner scan is as follows
    > > AMD-K6-2 333 ( 333 MHz )
    > > 64M RAM
    > >
    > I throttled my 550 MHz computer back to a 333 MHz to match my other machine and
    > isolated the scanner on the SCSI buss. I ensured both the scanner and the SCSI
    > interface were the only terminated devices on the buss. I also scanned with
    > two different cables. Still no improvement.
    >
    > Any suggestions on where I can go from here? I think I've ruled out a hardware
    > problem.

    Hi Rod,

    some ideas:
    1) did you change the order of the pci devices (swap the scsi controller
    with another pci device?)

    2) do you use the most recent bios for the 550MHz Mainboard?

    3) Is the voltage of the 550MHz CPU correct?
    Does the mainboard list the Amd K6-2/550 as supported CPU?

    Are you able to put the 330MHz CPU into the 550 Mhz Board?
    (Be careful, the my work with different voltage settings)!!

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:	http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch