Re: Problem with scan quality using UMAX Astra 1220S

From: Johan Bengtsson (johanb@lls.se)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 14:37:47 PST

    Den Mon, 06 Nov 2000 skrev du:
    > On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 12:19:12AM +0100, Oliver Rauch wrote:
    > > Rod Pike wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Greetings,
    > > >
    > > > I'm running RH 6.2 and using the supplied version of Gimp and sane-1.0.1-4. I
    > > > have a problem getting output from this combination that comes close to the
    > > > quality of the output I get using the supplied Windows Twain interface (
    > > > VistaScan ) that came with my UMAX Astra 1220S.
    > > >
    > > > The problem is difficult to explain but if you look at these jpegs I think you
    > > > can see what I mean. There is a faint line of pixels on the xscanimage
    > > > captured image and it's hard to see here but the uniformaty of the pixels on
    > > > the vistascan captured image is much smoother than that of xscanimage.

    Hi,

    I had some problems like that and that was caused by dust on the scanners
    calibration window. Make sure that it's absolutely clean & dustfree and try
    again. Of course if this is the problem it shouldn't be any difference between
    scans made in Linux & Windows, but it's worth a try...

    Johan B.

                           Tent Of Miracles
        - the unofficial homepage of the legendary band Spirit:
                   http://www.lls.se/~johanb/spirit/
               August - free html editor for Unix/Linux:
                   http://www.lls.se/~johanb/august/
             E-mail @ home: johanb@lls.se    ICQ: 27505976
                    Fotografiska Föreningen i Göteborg:
                        http://www.netg.se/ffg/