Re: New backends for SANE 1.0.4

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 13:56:02 PST

    On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 09:39:58PM +0100, Karsten Festag wrote:
    > I did some work at the microtek2 backend to get my Phantom330CX
    > supported. I also corrected compiler warnings and eliminated
    > fprintf(stderr, ...) calls.

    That's fine :-)

    > The backend works with my Scanner (not
    > perfectly but quite well), but I'm not sure if my modifications work
    > with other scanner models. I also think my code needs to be checked
    > because this is my first exercise in C-programming.

    Have you talked to the current maintainer of mikrotek2, Bernd
    Schroeder? He's supposed to be "active", at least that's what the
    AUTHORS file says :-)

    > I will keep working but it's difficult because I get no technical input
    > >from Microtek, only old specs from 1997.

    I know this problem from Mustek ...

    > In addition I want to remove (model-dependent) some option sliders
    > (contrast, brightness, shadow, midtone, highlights) that are not
    > supported by the scanner hardware. I think it is senseless to implement
    > this functions in the backend by additional code,

    Depends on how complicated this is. This may be interesting if you do
    lots of scans e.g. with scanimage and don't want to manipulate every
    image by hand. On the other hand I'm sure there are command line tools
    to e.g. increase brightness, too.

    > let GIMP do this much
    > better ...? Can somebody give me a hint how to control the appearance of
    > the sliders?

    That's done by the SANE options (see sane.ps on the SANE website). If
    you remove the option (or set SANE_CAP_INACTIVE) the slider won't be
    available anymore.

    > I think I will do some modifications to the code in the next weeks. What
    > do you think, should I provide my actual code for testing?

    Absolutely. Put it on a website, write down what you changed and
    announce the code on sane-devel. After some testing, ask the
    maintainer to include it. If he doesn't have time to do it, we will
    find another solution.

    Bye,
      Henning