Re: New backends for SANE 1.0.4

From: Karsten Festag (karsten.festag@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 12:39:58 PST

    Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Concerning backends that are not yet included into the SANE
    > distribution:

    Hi,

    I did some work at the microtek2 backend to get my Phantom330CX
    supported. I also corrected compiler warnings and eliminated
    fprintf(stderr, ...) calls. The backend works with my Scanner (not
    perfectly but quite well), but I'm not sure if my modifications work
    with other scanner models. I also think my code needs to be checked
    because this is my first exercise in C-programming.
    I will keep working but it's difficult because I get no technical input
    from Microtek, only old specs from 1997.
    The main problem I deal with is the calibration and shading compensation
    (the scanner has no internal compensation, this has to be done by the
    backend).
    In addition I want to remove (model-dependent) some option sliders
    (contrast, brightness, shadow, midtone, highlights) that are not
    supported by the scanner hardware. I think it is senseless to implement
    this functions in the backend by additional code, let GIMP do this much
    better ...? Can somebody give me a hint how to control the appearance of
    the sliders?
    I think I will do some modifications to the code in the next weeks. What
    do you think, should I provide my actual code for testing? And where I
    should send the code to (I didn't create a homepage until now, lazy
    lazy...)?

    Greetings

    Karsten Festag