Re: TODO list

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 11:40:13 PST

    On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 11:38:46AM +0800, kwlee wrote:
    > .Warmup-time: This is almost necessary for most entry level scanners to
    > warmup
    > the lamp, in driver level, must have API to report the warmup remain
    > times, i don't
    > understand why people under SANE never discuss about that ? this is
    > pretty common
    > under Windows.

    I never had this problem so ... If I understand this correctly you
    want to have some sort of mechanism to send messages from the backend
    to the frontend, right? This isn't possible with SANE 1 so it must
    wait for SANE 2. I have added an entry to the LEVEL2 file about this.
    However, I don't know how this could be implemented for command line
    frontends ...

    With the current SANE 1: I don't know if defining an option as
    SANE_CAP_SOFT_DETECT (without any of the _SELECT caps) works. Is this
    warm-up time needed once per scan or only after turning on the scanner?
    If it's only needed after startup, maybe you can add an option which
    says something like "scanner will be ready at <time>" and remove the
    option (or use the string "Scanner is ready now") after the time is
    over.

    > H/W JPEG scanning: simple! the scanner ouput jpeg image without any effort
    > of driver,
    > the only effort is that we need to add jpeg
    > file header to this raw
    > image data.

    Additional frame types are also an issue for SANE 2 (the standard has
    to be changed for this).

    > S/W JPEG decompress: this is "run time" decompress, you can never predict
    > the exact
    > data(after decompress) you will, so many
    > extra efforts need to
    > implement.

    I'm not sure if I understood this. You want to decompress the jpeg
    data coming from the scanner in the backend (to solve the problem of
    missing jpeg-support in SANE)? So this is a problem of implementing
    the function in the backend?

    > yep! http://www.abaforum.es/martim/bird/otlinux.htm

    Ok. I added this backend to the TODO-list.

    If you like you can make a viceo.desc file which can be included in
    the SANE distribution. After SANE 1.0.4 is finished, the SANE website
    would show an entry for your backend in this case. Otherwise I would
    make an entry in the projects file.

    I downloaded your backend for a quick look. I had some problems to
    find the Readme. It looks like the file Readme in readme.tar.gz is
    itsself a tar file (which includes Todo once again).

    Bye,
      Henning