Re: Problem with scan quality using UMAX Astra 1220S

From: Rod Pike (rodneyp@utanet.at)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2000 - 15:19:04 PST

    On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 12:19:12AM +0100, Oliver Rauch wrote:
    > Rod Pike wrote:
    > >
    > > Greetings,
    > >
    > > I'm running RH 6.2 and using the supplied version of Gimp and sane-1.0.1-4. I
    > > have a problem getting output from this combination that comes close to the
    > > quality of the output I get using the supplied Windows Twain interface (
    > > VistaScan ) that came with my UMAX Astra 1220S.
    > >
    > > The problem is difficult to explain but if you look at these jpegs I think you
    > > can see what I mean. There is a faint line of pixels on the xscanimage
    > > captured image and it's hard to see here but the uniformaty of the pixels on
    > > the vistascan captured image is much smoother than that of xscanimage.
    > >
    > > http://www.iosphere.net/~sullivan/rp/sane/vistascan300dpiRGBcrop.jpg
    > > http://www.iosphere.net/~sullivan/rp/sane/xscanimage300dpiRGBcrop.jpg
    > >
    > > Both images are scanned using the same source at 300 dpi. I've used whatever
    > > default settings there are with each interface.
    > >

    > Hi Rod,
    >
    > this looks like a problem of your scsi bus or drivers.

    snippp >>>>

    Thanks Oliver. I tried a few things assuming is was a SCSI buss/driver problem
    as you suggested. Being a long time SCSI user, I have a few different SCSI
    cards around. The original configuration was using an old Adaptec AHA1542CF.
    I substituted in a newer Adaptec 2940AU and got similar results. I also tried
    an ASUS PCI-SC200 ( 53C810 ) and got the same result. In all instances I tried
    both the scanner as the only device on the BUSS and in addition to other
    devices. Of course I terminated appropriately.

    I then tried using a different computer with RH6.2 and the SC200 and was
    surprised to find that the scan was clean. I'm assuming if I tried the other
    SCSI cards I would get a similar result. So I'm back to where I started
    without a solution ( Using this other computer for scanning is not a solution
    ). My current configuration does not work for me and I'm at a loss as to how
    to correct the problem.

    I get clean scans if I use Windows or another machine. I get dirty scans if I
    use sane on this particular machine. I've tried different cards, therefor
    different drivers with the same result. I've tried the same buss arrangement
    on two different computers with different results so it doesn't seem to be buss
    related.

    Any other suggestions on a way to tackle this issue?

    Cheers,

    --
    Rod Pike
    rodneyp @ utanet.at