Re: Beginner's question.

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 08:59:03 PDT

    [Joseph Wenninger]
    > I use Suse 7.0 with my Epson GT7000 SCSI Scanner. If the scanner is
    > turned on, when I start the system, I can launch for instance XSane
    > without problems and scan images. If the scanner was turned off
    > during startup and I add it to the system with
    > echo scsi add-single-device x x x x
    > the scanner is shown when I call find-scanner, but xsane or other
    > frontends complain that there is no SANE scanner available.

    I do not know anything about the solution to your problem, but I
    suggest running these two test runs (booting with scanner turned on
    and off), with debugging, and compare the output.

    Run xsane like this to turn on debugging and log the output to file:

      SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=128 SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=128 xsane > xsane.log 2>&1

    (assuming a shell in the bourne family. :-)

    The difference between the two runs should give you an idea about what
    is wrong.

    --
    ##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere@td.org.uit.no