Beginner's question.

From: Joseph WENNINGER (jowenn@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 14:14:56 PDT

    Hi!

    I hope my question is not off topic, because I don't know it concerns sane
    itself or the linux scsi subsystem.

    I use Suse 7.0 with my Epson GT7000 SCSI Scanner. If the scanner is turned
    on, when I start the system, I can launch for instance XSane without
    problems and scan images.
    If the scanner was turned off during startup and I add it to the system with
    echo scsi add-single-device x x x x
    the scanner is shown when I call find-scanner, but xsane or other frontends
    complain that there is no SANE scanner available.
    In /etc/sane.d i have a configuration file for the epson, which says:
    scsi EPSON
    #/dev/scanner

    If I change it to
    scsi EPSON
    /dev/scanner
    the the scanner is recognized by the software and I can scan images, even if
    I add the scanner after startup to the system. (/dev/scanner is a link to
    /dev/sg0)

    Is this a bug, a feature, or am I doing something wrong ?

    Thanks in advance

    Joseph WENNINGER