Re: [snapscan] Sourceforge request submitted

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 08:53:47 PDT

    > A uniform directory a la Freshmeat is a great idea, but sourceforge
    > worries me because it represents a single point of failure.

    Yes, I agree it is risky to keep so many eggs in one basket. But on
    the other hand it is just a copy of the eggs, not the eggs themselves.
    (As most free software is available from FTP sites all over the world,
    the mailing lists are in peoples mailboxes).

    I believe the SANE would do better with a problem tracking system, to
    make it easier for people to know what is working and what is not, and
    to make it easier for developers to remember which bugs are still
    hiding in the source.

    I also believe a patch manager system is a good thing, to make sure
    the patches are remembered. I know it is is a pain to search my
    mailbox and the mailing list archive to check if all the patches are
    checked before making a release.

    Getting these things for free seems like a good deal. I'm sure it is
    better in some ways to have our own, but it is also worse as we do not
    seem to have the resources to set it up in the first place, and do not
    know if anyone will be able to maintain it later (which of course do
    not not know about Sourceforge as well. :-).

    I don't know. It is parhaps not the most pressing problem at the
    moment, but seeing how the CVS repository speeded up the SANE project,
    I believe more state of the art tools for software development would
    give even more improvements.

    (Which reminds me. We should have a regression testing system to make
    sure old bugs do not sneak back in unnoticed. Any volunteers? :-)

    BTW: Did anyone actually step in to help David with the mailing list
      maintainence?

    --
    ##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere@td.org.uit.no