Re: SANE on Linux/x86 with SCSI ISA card

From: Ingo Wilken (Ingo.Wilken@Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 15:09:06 PDT

    > Hey, I missed that generic NCR5380 driver in the kernel config, actually ;) but
    > I tried it and Linux didn't detect the card, still.

    The g_NCR5380 driver does _not_ autodetect your card, you have to provide
    the I/O port (or memory address) and possibly the IRQ manually. NCR5380
    cards also come in two flavours, one uses an I/O port and the other uses
    a memory address; the driver needs to be recompiled to switch between
    these two modes. Most distributions provide a module compiled for I/O ports,
    since this configuration seems to be the most common. Since you said that
    your card works with Windows, the easiest thing is to simply look at the
    configuration in Windows device manager tool. If you just try port
    adresses at random with this driver, the machine usually locks up.

    > Maybe this SCSI host adapter emulation causes some trouble?

    No, once correctly loaded, the NCR5380 driver simply becomes scsi1.

    Ingo