Re: SANE on Linux/x86

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 10:02:19 PDT

    On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 06:46:22PM +0200, Ivo wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm running Linux/x86 kernel 2.2.17 and I've got a ScanMagic 9636S scanner.
    > This scanner is said to be supported by the Mustek back-end.

    It is supported.

    > I'm supposed to get the ISA card that provides the SCSI interface to be
    > detected by Linux. I think the SCSI card is a DMX318X ISA SCSI card (I got
    > this from a diagnostics tool under Windows *shame*) but I could not find a
    > SCSI driver for this exact model.

    g_NCR5380. Look at http://hmg.home.pages.de/sane/trouble.html for more
    details (see table). You may have to change the "ncr_addr" entry. Use
    modules, It's just more easy to test.

    The man-page is right about the quality of this SCSI adapter. The newer NCR
    or other modern adapters are faster with sane and Mustek scanners. I am
    trying to get the same speed with the original adapters like in Windows at
    the moment. Not much success until now, however :-(

    Bye,
      Henning