Re: Acer Scanwit Film Scanner

From: Andrew Larcombe (andrew.larcombe@virgin.net)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 07:14:26 PDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Steve Underwood <steveu@coppice.org>
    To: <sane-devel@mostang.com>
    Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 2:55 PM
    Subject: Re: Acer Scanwit Film Scanner
    > Andrew Larcombe wrote:
    > > I have an Acer Scanwit Film Scanner and would love to be able to use it
    > > whilst running Linux.
    >><snip>
    >
    > I don't think anyone has implemented a driver for this machine. If it
    functions
    > somewhat like the Acer scanner there is hope that you path will be easy.
    > Otherwise it may be tough. Acer are about as free with information as your
    > favourite intelligence service.
    I guess the functionality is different to the Acer flatbed scanners simply
    because it's a film scanner. A cartridge is inserted which contains a strip
    of up to 6 negs or some slides. The scanner then moves the cartridge so that
    the target frame is positioned correctly so that the scanning can start.

    > What type of interface (SCSI, USB, etc.) does this thing use?
    It's a SCSI interface. The machine comes with an ACARD Ultra wide scsi. I
    can load atp870u and sg modules and can 'see' the scanner ok.

    Andrew