Re: Acer Scanwit Film Scanner

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 06:55:57 PDT

    Andrew Larcombe wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an Acer Scanwit Film Scanner and would love to be able to use it
    > whilst running Linux.
    > i) Is there any work being done for a SANE driver for this scanner? I
    > couldn't see it listed as a work-in-progress when I downloaded sane-1.0.3.
    > ii) If not then I would like some hints and tips on how to write a driver
    > for it. Amongst others I know c and c++, but I have absolutely no experience
    > in writing device level software. Does anyone have any tips on where to
    > start? How can I find out how to pass parameters to the scanner and get
    > useful data back? Any help gratefully received!

    I don't think anyone has implemented a driver for this machine. If it functions
    somewhat like the Acer scanner there is hope that you path will be easy.
    Otherwise it may be tough. Acer are about as free with information as your
    favourite intelligence service.

    What type of interface (SCSI, USB, etc.) does this thing use?

    Steve