Nikon Coolscan / LS2000?

From: dave-mlist@bfnet.com
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 12:19:43 PDT

    Red Hat 6.2, Kernel 2.2.14

    I have tried several ways to use SANE to scan with the Nikon LS2000,
    and none of them have worked. I'm looking for some advice as to where
    to go next. I have never tried this scanner with a windows machine.

    I tried to FTP the sane backend for the coolscan at
    http://www.sema.be/coolscan/ but there doesn't appear to be any FTP
    access.

    I tried the modified backend at
    http://andreas.rick.free.fr/sane/coolscan.html and was actually able
    to download sane-1.0.2_coolscan043.tgz. This compiled fine, but the
    preview and scan buttons don't seem to do anything. I tried loading
    the film both before and after hitting the buttons.

    I tried vuescan at http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html, and VueScan 5.9t53
    for Linux. This appears to be more functional than SANE: at least the
    abort and film eject buttons work fine. I was actually able to get a
    sort of image from the scan, but it took a really long time, and it
    did not look very clean. I was not able to save the image or control
    which image on the negative to scan. This may be because of the trial
    (unregistered) status of the software.

    Does anybody out there have an LS2000 working with SANE?

    Dave