Re: New Interface sanei_pa4s2...

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 09:16:39 PDT

    [Jochen Eisinger]
    > I've written a nice little interface for the Mustek parallel port
    > chipset A4S2...

    I'm impressed. I expected you to brush up the sanei_pio API to match
    your needs, not make a completely new and generic chipset API. :-)

    > sadly, this isn't a working backend, just the hardware functions to
    > access the registers of the scanner.

    Is this chipset API enough for the backend to only implement the
    high-level functionallity, and not require any hw access?

    > There is already a backend for this chipset, which implements all
    > these functions. However, Petter Reinholdtsen said, it would be
    > better, if the hardware handling code would be in a SANE interface
    > (like sanei_pio, sanei_ab306).

    After reading thru the source, it seems like a few of the functions
    might be used to improve the pio API. It must be possible to make a
    parport API that works on all platforms. Are the _epp functions
    implementing the 'enhanced parport' mode? I've been reading about the
    the Linux parport kernel API, and noticed support for epp, ecp and
    nibble mode in this API. Would a sanei parport API with support for
    such modes make it easier to support parport scanners?

    Happy hacking,

    --
    ##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere@td.org.uit.no