Re: New Interface sanei_pa4s2...

From: Jochen Eisinger (jochen.eisinger@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 01:48:31 PDT

    Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

    > Is this chipset API enough for the backend to only implement the
    > high-level functionallity, and not require any hw access?

    This depends on what you mean withhw access. This interface gives an
    backend easy access to the registers of a A4S2 chipset so the backend
    needs not to use inb/outb. But the backend still cares about what to
    send to the registers... To summarize this, the interface just cares
    about the low level protocoll.

    > After reading thru the source, it seems like a few of the functions
    > might be used to improve the pio API. It must be possible to make a
    > parport API that works on all platforms. Are the _epp functions
    > implementing the 'enhanced parport' mode? I've been reading about the

    They are taken from a VxD-driver and as far as I know, this driver only
    works when EPP/ECP mode is activated in the BIOS. So I don't think the
    implement this mode, they just use it...

    > the Linux parport kernel API, and noticed support for epp, ecp and
    > nibble mode in this API. Would a sanei parport API with support for
    > such modes make it easier to support parport scanners?

    Again, I don't know. But I'll have a look at this API. :-)

    > Happy hacking,

    Thanks :-)

    -- jochen