Restarting a discussion about TWAIN and SANE...

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 08:40:58 PDT

    [Mark McLaughlin]
    > I have, however, continued to consider the issue, and recently the
    > TWAIN Working Group decided that the discussion needed to be
    > restarted.

    Sounds good. The design document was interesting reading. It could
    make a starting point for further plans.

    The part of SANE-TWAIN integration I want to see is going the other
    way. Using a SANE device as a TWAIN device on Windows. Hooking the
    scanner up as a networked resource and giving all the windows boxes
    access to it would give us more in the short term than making the
    TWAIN API available on Unix and start waiting for applications to
    appear. :-)

    I believe the design document exaggerates the problem of multiple gui
    toolkits on Unix. I seriously believe any good-looking X GUI toolkit
    would be as good as any other. If one also uses a multi-platform
    toolkit, one could use the same source on Windows, and Unix. Perhaps
    you should have a look at FLTK and wxWindow.

    I suggest keeping the SANE API as the 'lowlevel' API with network
    support, and adding a GUI layer as the TWAIN API. (I have not read
    the TWAIN spec, and I do not really know much about how the TWAIN API
    actually works. Take these suggestions with some salt. :-)

    I just wish I had more time to spend on this, but I will at least keep
    an eye on the discussion and try to assist as much as I can.

    --
    ##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere@td.org.uit.no