Re: Restarting a discussion about TWAIN and SANE...

From: Stephen Williams (steve@icarus.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 11:38:26 PDT

    252353N@knotes.kodak.com said:
    > It was during that time that I began the creation of a High Level
    > Design Document outlining the goals and rough implementation
    > strategies for expanding TWAIN's portability to include UNIX. Now, as
    > in the earlier discussion, SANE plays an important part in this work.

    What I would like to see is SANE learning about some of the format
    tags and well known options from TWAIN, but keeping its non-gui style.
    That way I can write a SANE driver, then just add the Windows icky-ness
    to get a TWAIN driver out of it.

    In particular, just about the *only* thing making SANE drivers for my
    devices impractical is its lack of understanding of compressed streams
    of data from scanners. If support for encoded image data is added to
    SANE, then just about anything else of TWAIN can be passed through
    the existing SANE parameters mechanism, or otherwise be handled
    transparently.

    steve@icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
    steve@picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,