Restarting a discussion about TWAIN and SANE...

From: 252353N@knotes.kodak.com
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 09:22:29 PDT

    From: Mark McLaughlin

    Hi...

    Last summer I initiated a discussion about expanding TWAIN's portability
    to include UNIX, and more specifically Linux. The discussion included a
    number of SANE developers, and continued (with some gaps) over the
    course of several months. It finally faded away, mostly due to my own
    fault, because of work committments and other TWAIN activities.

    I have, however, continued to consider the issue, and recently the TWAIN
    Working Group decided that the discussion needed to be restarted.

    We are still receiving queries from our user community about the notion
    of TWAIN on UNIX. And, back in April, we made it the central question to
    people in our booth at the AIIM show in New York City. People responded
    in sufficient numbers to further encourage us to continue.

    It was during that time that I began the creation of a High Level Design
    Document outlining the goals and rough implementation strategies for
    expanding TWAIN's portability to include UNIX. Now, as in the earlier
    discussion, SANE plays an important part in this work. The document
    reflects ideas discussed with a number of people, in particular Oliver
    Rauch and Andreas Beck. It can be found at the following URL...

    http://www.twain.org/docs/twain_20_unix.htm

    I am not sure how feasible this next notion will be, but here goes: One of
    the
    members of the TWAIN Working Group (Jon Harju) has learned that there
    will be a Linux Symposium in Ottawa, Canada on July 20th. Jon and I would
    very much like to meet with any representatives of SANE who would be
    able to meet us there. If for some reason this isn't doable, we would be
    interested in discussing other opportunities for face to face meetings.

                             Mark McLaughlin
                             Chair, Technical Sub-committee
                             TWAIN Working Group